Senior Shift Engineer
An exciting opportunity to join our Biggleswade Engineering Team.
What’s it all about?
The Senior Shift Engineer is responsible for coordinating, prioritizing and completion of engineering maintenance, repairs and continuous improvement of manufacturing equipment, plant, and facilities to ensure the delivery of production volumes and efficiencies whilst driving continuous improvement within an environment that has high safety and quality standards. This role will involve providing technical support, engaging, and communicating technical information with multiple departments to identify and resolve safety, quality, or operations issues with assets in a timely manner. Completion and updating of proactive maintenance tasks are an important aspect to this role.
- To work safely by applying sound engineering principles and safe systems of work e.g. isolations, permit to work, risk assessment, whilst working across a diverse range of equipment and associated hazards.
- Ensure all work carried out in accordance with JDR and statutory standards to ensure equipment and process are compliant.
- To work as a flexible and motivated member of the engineering team.
- To plan and coordinate the engineering work activities on shift based on the priorities dictated by the operations team and reorganise resource and priorities accordingly.
- Work alongside the operations shift leaders to make informed decisions on shift to ensure the production priorities are met.
- To perform planned, preventative maintenance, fault finding, repair and continuous improvement to manufacturing equipment and plant to ensure production targets can be met and line downtime is minimized.
- Effective communication with the engineering and production teams at shift handovers to ensure continuity of technical issues across shift so that informed decisions can be made.
- Ensure engineering spares are accurately booked out on shift to ensure correct stock levels are maintained to minimise equipment downtime.
- Proactive approach to the identification of problems, whilst coordinating with the relevant key personnel.
- To lead/ take part in Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective and Preventative Actions (CAPA).
- Identification of possible improvements to routine maintenance with a view to their modification to increase line/plant effectiveness by reducing unplanned stoppages and improving availability of line time.
- During fault finding of equipment, determine when to escalate and seek expert technical advice from internal or external experts to aide resolution of internal engineering issues to meet production demand.
- Use controls experience to effectively fault find and resolve engineering issues to reduce operations downtime.
- Provide expert technical expertise with respect to providing training, coaching, and mentoring of machine minders, operators, junior engineers and apprentices.
- Planning of scheduled work by liaising with production management to ensure production equipment is made available so that the site planned maintenance schedule adherence targets are achieved.
- Responsible for maintaining GMP standards for engineering workspace.
- To lead/ take part in continuous improvement activities and planned maintenance shutdowns to improve equipment reliability and performance.
- To stay up-to-date with all training requirements as identified in the training matrix and proactively highlight skills and capability gaps.
- Complete safety risk assessments, typically: machine safety and PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations).
- Attend and contribute at the shift and daily operations meetings to discuss and agree solutions for current safety, quality or operations issues.
What does "great" look like?
- Ability to diagnose problems and repair machinery.
- Able to take a long-term view in identifying improvements, as well as focusing on delivering current projects.
- Excellent decision making and clarity of thinking skills.
- Always act in a safe manner and to use the SAFE reporting system to highlight potential hazards.
- Aligned with our culture and values.
- Collaborative and able to work effectively across shift patterns to cover production.
- You will always work safely and follow the company Health and Safety rules.
- The personal presence and professional credibility necessary to have an immediate impact with internal contacts and central functions.
- A motivated team player that is also able to work independently.
- High levels of self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
- Communication skills: Able to communicate using non-technical language to ensure that any issues are clearly understood by all concerned.
- Results focused - takes accountability and pride in delivery.
- Self-starter, can work up an Engineering plan, agree scope of work and lead through to implementation.
- Ability to be influential and persuasive when clear decisions need to be made.
- Ability to work under pressure: Able to remain calm under extreme pressure
- Inquisitive & challenging and does not accept poor standards.
- Problem solving: A focused, pragmatic approach to solving problems, inclusive of and able to engage with others at all levels across the site
Experience and Skills
At Jordans Dorset Ryvita, our brands have great credentials in environmental sustainability and working with farmers to protect the countryside. Our brands are naturally delicious and sold internationally worldwide. We’re also a friendly bunch who support each other to do the very best we can and make JDR a great place to work.
Jordans Dorset Ryvita is part of Associated British Foods (ABF), a diversified international food, ingredients and retail group, employing 128,000 employees worldwide.
**To view this job and apply, please follow the link below to be redirected to our new careers page:
Once there, click the search button to find the role.
**PLEASE DO NOT USE THE BOX BELOW TO APPLY**