Engineering Manager – Poole
The Site Engineering Manager will lead and develop the Engineering team, the related business systems and working practices to ensure the delivery of production volumes, line efficiencies, OEE and yields that exceed targets whilst reducing costs and driving continuous improvement within a zero-harm environment.
What’s it all about?
You will operate as part of Poole Site Leadership Team and play a key role in ensuring that engagement and high levels of performance remain a priority.
The job holder will be the Engineering Ambassador for the Poole Site both within and outside of the JDR business.
Reporting to the Site General Manager, the purpose of this position is to lead and optimise the Engineering team to achieve a performance level where the site can truly claim to be and recognised both internally and externally as “World Class”.
You will set the standards on maintenance quality, equipment availability, capital project management and facilities management with full budget ownership. A key part of this will be to develop, manage and deploy the site TPM strategy:
- Implement maintenance systems including, but not limited to PPM and TPM.
- Leading and developing Managers, Engineers, Technicians and Apprentices.
- Statutory inspection of production equipment while considering operational requirement of assets, optimal compliance with maintenance schedules.
Supporting productivity improvement and loss elimination initiatives across the Poole site.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Role model for Health Safety & Environment and Food Hygiene, personally demonstrate Safety First behaviours and ensure these are practiced and embedded within Team and broader Site.
- Proactively promote a positive Health & Safety culture, leading towards a target of zero harm for JDR personnel and contractors.
- Member of the Site Leadership Team responsible for Engineering performance.
- Involvement in the selection process for reports within the team. Owns training and development of individuals within the team. Understands and identifies technically related training requirements at all levels in the business (e.g. COMPEx, IEEE v7) to ensure that all employees are properly equipped to undertake their roles.
- Full budget ownership:
- Effective management and control of all maintenance revenue spend, forecasting expenditure and carrying out regular reviews of actual spends vs. allocated budgets.
- Monitor and report key engineering KPIs as agreed with the Site General Manager.
- Ensuring that the optimum resource is deployed necessary to complete the works and that non-productive time is minimised or eliminated.
- Ensure that effective team member and contractor performance reviews take place, that measurement and review drives continuous improvement in technician and contractor performance, and that SLA targets are met and exceeded by 3rd party suppliers.
- Continuously explore ways to improve delivery to internal/external customers and through this achieve excellence in operational efficiency and effectiveness using proven methodology and problem-solving tools.
- As Department Head, you are the Site Duty Holder for:
- Hot Works
- Isolations & Permit to Work
- Contractor Management
- Ensure the effective and efficient achievement of operational availability targets in accordance with the needs of the business.
- Ensure that all changes to plant and equipment are co-ordinated through management of change.
- Actively participate in the JDR energy reduction commitment looking for ways to reduce energy consumption Work with onsite maintenance planning team and CI engineers.
- To drive and deliver capital projects to required business expectations and timeframes.
- Deliver and promote Engineering best practice, actively participate in contingency planning and risk identification, management, mitigation or removal.
- Work with the existing maintenance planning and engineering stock holding and ordering systems to ensure timely maintenance tasks can be delivered.
- Working with the Department managers - ensure optimum production asset availability through the development and implementation of action plans to address root causes of failures.
- Support and communicate the engineering strategy and deliverables to the SLT.
- Follow all Quality systems and procedures to ensure our products meet food safety (HACCP), legal and customer requirements as well as maintaining external standards e.g. BRC, IFS, Femas, Soil Association, Retail.
- Understand, implement, and review engineering maintenance systems associated with the site infrastructure and production environment to the agreed safety and quality standards. Ensure KPI’s are monitored and presented to allow identification of improvement plans.
- Lead and execute developments in maintenance PM strategy and reliability focused initiatives or projects.
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement always looking to reducing costs, drive quality within a zero-harm environment.
- Leading and owning the evaluation of risks prior to the introduction of and establishment of controls of a new maintenance practice, process, or equipment installation.
- Line management of Engineering Managers.
- Lead, motivate and inspire the Engineering team in line with JDR SPIRIT values to achieve personal development.
**To view this job and apply, please follow the link below to be redirected to our new careers page:
Once there, click the search button to find the role.
What does "great" look like?
- • Understands the Engineering department and Operations strategy and is able to deliver a great maintenance service accordingly
- • Able to take a broad view, whilst delivering necessary interventions
- • Decision making
- • Will do the ‘right thing’ when it comes to Safety, Quality, Cost, Time and environment
- • Forward thinking
- • Aligned to our culture - a skilled leader, people and task ordinated
- • Able to build great relationships with colleagues - a real Team Player
- • A role model for Health & Safety and Food Safety
- • Committed to make Poole an ‘even better place to work’
- • Enjoys training and developing teams
- • Delivers results whilst inspiring others to get things done
- • Challenges the status quo and does not accept poor standards
- • Self-motivated and able to achieve in a fast paced, changing environment
Experience and Skills
You may also have/be...